Regardless of your experience, if you’re a new horse owner or one who dealt with a whole herd of horses before, you surely want your animal to stay healthy. Unfortunately, horses get older, and just like humans, the older they get the bigger the chances that they will experience joint pains and other problems with the motor system, which can lead to lameness.
Thankfully, owners can relieve their horses a bit by giving them supplements that significantly improve the condition and mobility of joints. There are many joint supplements available on the market, but not all products are going to be good and effective.
What to look for when choosing a supplement for horse joints?
- Glucosamine – is responsible for the reconstruction of cartilage. It has a significant impact on the flexibility and mobility of a horse’s joints. It also cares for joints and replenishes synovial fluid. Glucosamine is also a natural painkiller.
- Chondroitin – can be found in cartilage, bones and connective tissue. By using it regularly, it can reduce the risk of a horse’s cartilage sustaining any damage.
- Hyaluronic acid – lubricates the synovial membranes and has a positive effect on the condition of the cartilage. It also helps the body reduce any swelling and supports its healing response. This supplement gives the best results when given in the form of a gel, however, it can also be given orally.
- Vitamin C – removes free radicals and inflammation which are dangerous to connective tissue. It’s important to follow the dosage recommendations because an overdose can harm cartilage.
- Herbs – have anti-inflammatory properties, strengthen a horse’s immune system, and effectively help with arthritis as well as other accompanying diseases.
Top 6 joint supplements for horses
1. Over Horse joint supplement Flex Complete
In the supplement’s composition you will find ingredients that support the regeneration of joint cartilage. There is glucosamine, which is the building block of joint cartilage and joints, chondroitin, which is extremely important in the regeneration of joint cartilage, and glucosamine, which protects joints from further inflammation.
Moreover, MSM and collagen make the bones more flexible and help prevent further injuries.
The supplement is recommended for horses in regular training, as well as for those recovering from joint injuries and with reduced mobility.
The liquid formula of the product makes it easy to measure a specific dose and administer it to the horse in the feed or directly into its mouth.
- Easy to feed
- Contains essential ingredients for joints
- One bottle may not be enough for a full treatment
- Quite expensive
2. Cox Veterinary Acti Flex
The advanced formula of this supplement allows it to improve the horse’s physical condition and joint mobility. The rich composition (incl. chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine and methylsulfonylmethane) supports the repair and lubrication of the connective tissue of the joints.
Additionally, this supplement reduces the risk of inflammation thanks to the high amount of vitamin C in its composition. Vitamin C also optimizes the amount of antioxidants.
This supplement gives results fast and it’s also cheap in comparison to the product mentioned above.
- Rich composition
- Satisfactory results in a short amount of time
- Manufacturing defects can occur
3. Joint supplement for dogs and horses LubriSyn
Supplement LubriSyn contains only one ingredient – hyaluronic acid, which is much more effective than glucosamine or chondroitin. It’s thick and sticky enough to fill out empty spaces that formed in the horse’s joints. Moreover, hyaluronic acid makes the joints more flexible, which in turn makes them more lubricated and allows them to have better shock absorption properties.
This supplement works great on senior and pregnant horses; thanks to the natural ingredient it’s safe and gives excellent results.
This supplement is designed for everyday use in a dose of around 2 scoops (the exact dose depends on the horse’s weight).
- Safe for senior and pregnant horses
- Contains strong hyaluronic acid
- Improves the functioning of the joints
- Requires regular use
4. Equithrive Joint
Equithrive Joint supplement contains strong resveratrol (a natural molecule that reduces gene expression in case of inflammatory response and improves the horse’s range of motion). It’s worth remembering that not all products that contain resveratrol are equally effective. So, it’s a good idea to look for products with the highest concentration of resveratrol to make sure it will be well absorbed, and you will get results quickly.
Additionally, the composition includes hyaluronic acid, which has amazing effects on a horse’s physical condition.
- Available in the form of powder and granules
- Contains an effective resveratrol
5. The Missing Link Supplements
This supplement is intended for adult horses, which might have deficiencies in essential nutrients. The composition includes ingredients that will replenish any diet deficiencies and those that support the health of the horse’s joints.
The composition includes Omega 3 and 6 acids dietary fiber and natural antioxidants, which makes this supplement a concentrate of essential nutrients. It’s worth remembering that fatty acids have a long shelf life thanks to the cold pressing method.
In summary, this supplement has a significant effect on the immune and muscular systems, joints, and ligaments, as well as intercellular systems. All of this will make your horse more vital and eager to work.
- Concentrate that replenishes all deficiencies in a horse’s diet
- Contains cold-pressed Omega 3 and 6 acids
- Can’t be given to young horses
6. Nutramax Cosequin ASU
This supplement is intended for horses that are in extensive training. The supplement’s ingredients effectively increase joint mobility and health, especially for those joints that’re under the highest strain during physical extortion.
The composition includes the most common joint supplement ingredients – glucosamine, MSM, or chondroitin but it has also been enriched with soya and avocado, which treat arthritis, swelling, stocking up and bog spavin.
This supplement comes in the form of a powder, which can be easily added to a horse’s feed. If your horse has no problem with eating powdered food, then this product might be the best choice.
If you want to use one product for other animals, then this product won’t be for you, it’s intended for horses only.
- Product available in a few different volumes
- Good for horses in extensive training
- Intended only for horses
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are joint supplements good for horses?
When choosing a joint supplement for your horse, it’s crucial to identify the horse’s age, type of training and physical condition. Young horses will need a product that will regulate the development of the cartilage skeletal system and joints. Horses in extensive training need a supplement that will help them maintain good joint mobility and ensure joint regeneration. Senior horses and horses after an injury will require yet another supplement. Therefore, it’s so important to choose a product for a specific problem.
When do horses need to be given joint supplements?
It’s worth remembering that prevention is better than cure. So, if you notice that your horse feels any pain while moving, then don’t hesitate and start treatment with a good joint supplement right away.
Even if your horse doesn’t currently have any joint problems, then you can provide him with basic treatment, e.g., with hyaluronic acid, to prevent deficiencies.
Giving your horse a joint supplement for its aching joints is the best choice you can make. However, you must remember to choose the correct supplement that is intended for your horse’s age and physical condition.